Grant Target Areas
- enhancing literacy in children
- working with schools, families, and community organizations that serve young people to support their intellectual and social development
- supporting initiatives designed to increase awareness of and appreciation for the arts as well as cultural and historic heritage
- partnering with local communities and churches to support Christian programs that benefit families and youth
Who May Apply
Grants are awarded only to nonprofit, charitable organizations that are tax-exempt under Section 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Code, and other eligible tax-exempt organizations.
The Foundation is not able to fund every worthwhile endeavor. We direct our support to those areas where we determine our contributions can have the greatest impact. To conserve resources, the Foundation does not consider more than one proposal from the same organization during each calendar year. Grants are limited to our target areas in amounts up to $30,000.
The Foundation generally does not consider requests for support in the following areas: annual campaigns, endowments, fundraising events, general operating support, individuals, requests of a political nature, large public charities, and government agencies.
Grant Application and Review Process
The Foundation accepts letters of inquiry as the initial form on contact from organizations whose projects address the grant target areas outlined above.
The letter should contain:
- a brief statement of the organization’s purpose and goals
- a description of the project
- the need
- the amount to be requested
- plans for evaluating the project’s impact
Be sure to include your organization’s address, phone number, and email address.
The Foundation will conduct an initial assessment of the proposed project as described in the letter of inquiry. If, in the Foundation’s discretion, the project appears to relate to the Foundation’s target areas, you will receive a request for additional materials, or for submission of a full proposal.
The Foundation makes funding decisions once per year.
Grant applications are due July 31.
Funding decisions are made by October 1. Notifications of awards are made shortly thereafter.
Letters of inquiry and requests for information should be directed to:
Mooneyhan Family Foundation
3119 Bristol Highway, Suite 206
Johnson City, TN 37601